Tuesday 11 May 2010

Back To the Basics!

Okay, so I have had to start over at square one with this pup. Today he pretended that he had no idea how to come and would instead like to follow the fox terrier named Wrinkles! I couldn’t believe it, that was when I realized I was without a treat bag. Once I had regained my succulent morsel laden bag he happily came when called! Only dilly dallying a bit to make sure that Wrinkles was not in fact just out of sight over a wee hill!


He did great all day yesterday but by last night was a different dog! So I had to restart my use of the house lead. The good news is that once I went back to the basics with him and continued to enforce the rules he has responded. I remembered Judy(Tiesto and I’s trainer at Pet Smart) saying that if ever your dog starts not listening to you go back to the beginning. Tiesto really seemed to appreciate the easy that was the basics for him. It is almost like the overwhelming newness of it all meant easing up just a bit on obedience until he settles. Even after two days I have been able to resume where we were at with obedience before arriving. So when you think your dog has lost its mind, go back a bit in training and he’ll come right back to where you both were!

Another amazing thing is that you can change the environment but do not change the routine! Tiesto always takes a nap when Joshua does at home. I tried to change that yesterday and it did not work out. He also always goes to sleep no later than 2100, I tried to change that yesterday and again the outcome was not good. Now, one would probably believe that I had known this based on the fact that I am a Mom and I strive for a routine with Joshua no matter what crazy adventure we are on. Well, it would seem that holds true for puppies too!

He is doing very well today and is even learning that Wrinkles does not welcome his sniffs, play times or kisses at any time ever during any moment of the day or night. Haha But he is a bit slow on this point, fortunately for him, Wrinkles is a very patient teacher.

We had our normal outside time this morning with Joshua and Tiesto and I think it helped them both. It is funny how I realized that since I was in a freakin’ cold place compared to home I didn’t want to go outside, but the littluns still did. So out we go! They were both in much better spirits after our outdoor adventure!

It is very different traveling with a Corso than a Staffie, my last traveling companion. Tiesto does not make friends naturally with anyone and has to be introduced to everyone. This is hard because they just see growling beast and not 5 month old puppy trying to make sure they understand his family is VERY dear to him. My husband said it best,

“I didn’t know a dog could imprint, but he has with you, that is for sure.” I laughed because until Tiesto, I had no idea they could either. However, he is most assuredly my dog! I don’t ever have to worry about someone stealing him and arguing that he is theirs because once he caught smell of me the gig would be up! Course, who would steal a dog that is the size of a baby hippo, seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment